Editorial Submission Guidelines
The Draft Horse Journal is published 4 times a year for heavy horse breeders, exhibitors, pullers, farmers, loggers and enthusiasts. It is, in effect, a publication for anyone and everyone interested in heavy horses and mules. The Draft Horse Journal features articles of general interest on such topics as successful bloodlines, history, health care, behavior, training techniques, veterinary advice, heavy horse & mule events (past & present), plus profiles of breeders, exhibitors, trainers, carriage operators, loggers, horse farmers – anyone using draft horses or mules.
The editor seeks articles that are fresh, thought-provoking, well researched and well documented. WHAT WE CAN USE: Each year, we buy 30 to 40 articles. These articles consist of previously unpublished, informative, entertaining writing on a variety of topics that impact the heavy horse industry and its members. Articles should be authoritative (please include sources) and appeal to the lay person. They should be between 1,600 and 3,000 words long.
The Draft Horse Journal welcomes freelance submissions for practically any of the above mentioned topics. The best preparation for the prospective Draft Horse Journal contributor is familiarity with the magazine. Indeed, for writers interested in learning The Draft Horse Journal's style and standards, there’s no substitute for regularly reading the magazine.
That said, we will consider publishing any worthwhile submission on horse-related topics so writers need not limit themselves to conventional topics or approaches. If a piece is accurate, well -organized, relevant and interesting, we will work with a writer to find a place for it within our format.
There are, however, a few guidelines that prospective contributors should keep in mind.
The Draft Horse Journal, PO Box 670, Waverly, IA 50677
(If you would like your materials returned, a self-addressed, stamped envelope needs to be included with your submission.)
Rights: First North American serial rights and electronic reprint rights are requested. Upon publication of an article, all rights to the original manuscript revert to the author.
Quality photos are needed to accompany editorial in The Draft Horse Journal. Please follow these steps to submit your photos.
- Please submit high resolution jpgs via e-mail, a file transfer/sharing software or on a DVD/flashdrive sent via USPS.
- The files should be a minimum size of 5x7 at 300 dpi.
- NO images taken off web sites or social media, please.
- Please give each file a different name.
- Please DO NOT place your digital images within Microsoft Word documents. If you do for reference, we will ask that you submit them separately.
- Always follow up with a phone call or e-mail to let us know you have uploaded photos and to confirm that they are useable/of correct format.
- Or you may submit original prints of any size. They can be enlarged, reduced or cropped as needed. Do not glue tape or staple the photos to the manuscript.
- Please do not mark up the original photo with marks for cropping.
- Please ensure photographers permission has been gained for the use of any photo(s).
DHJ EDITORIAL SUBMISSION DEADLINES:
|Issue||Ad Copy Due|
|Spring Annual Broodmare||December 10|
|Summer Annual Horse Sale Issue||March 10|
|Autumn Annual Workhorse Issue||June 10|
|Winter Annual Holiday & Stallion Issue||September 10|